Sunday 5 May 2013

Hurleston Reservoir

 Great Crested Grebe

 Chaffinch

 Whitethroat

A very obliging little Chiffchaff

Chiffchaff

A few hours on Friday, at what has always been my number one Patch, Hurleston Reservoir. It is located just a couple of miles out of the town and a pleasant walk down the Llangollen Canal.

Birding at this time of year is as much a treat on the ears as it is on the eyes with Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Garden Warbler and Whitethroat all singing on the walk down the Canal.  Add to this the resident Chaffinch, Linnet and Greenfinches and we have our own little "feathered choir" going on.

On the reservoir itself I watched the displaying Great Crested Grebes for a while.  The only other birds here of note were a Pair of Grey Wagtail.  I know of a breeding site for Lesser Whitethroat nearby and as I have only just come back from Spain I had not yet visited to see if they had returned this spring.  I am happy to report they have and although I could not get a photograph this time, I will keep my eye on them over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment