Monday 24 January 2011

Sunday 23rd - Late News El Hondo

I arrived at El Hondo at 07.30 with the temperature on the dash of the car reading -6, I could have been back in the UK. After just a few minutes however I was reminded exactly where I was when 2 Penduline Tits flew in calling and showed well in the reeds for 5 minutes. Raptor wise there was plenty to see - Booted Eagle (5), Hen Harrier (2), Marsh Harrier (4), Osprey (2) and the adult Greater Spotted Eagle.

There were also (as usual) lots of waders around, including - Lapwing (300+), Black-winged Stilt (numerous, below), Avocet (numerous), Little Stint (50+), Dunlin (200+) and a single Grey Plover.


Black-winged Stilt

Wildfowl was numerous on the reserve and the group of 25 White-headed Duck I found (18 male, 7 female) were a joy to watch, the males displaying and being very vocal, see below. Other wildfowl on site included, Teal (numerous), Wigeon (8), Pintail (34), Shoveler (2000+), Shelduck (3000+) and a single Ruddy Duck, the first I have seen on site and I'm glad to say well away from the displaying White-headed Duck.

The highlight of the day was a Spotted Crake from the hide on the Vistabella Road which showed well on and off in between the reeds and occasionally in the open.



White-headed Duck



White-headed Duck

Despite still having internet problems, I will continue to update as frequently as possible. Only digi-scoped pictures for the next few days though, still there not too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment