Monday 20 September 2010

Wednesday 15th September

4 Cheshire lifers and another few days in Scotland

Great Northern Diver


On Tuesday I had arranged to do another 3 days survey work in Scotland; but as we were not due to depart until 3pm on Wednesday, I decided to do a few hours on the Cheshire coast in the morning. I arrived at Leasowe Lighthouse shortly after 10am in search of a Wryneck which had been seen earlier that day by Phil Woollen. After a 20 minute wait the bird showed on and off for about 5 minutes but was elusive. With time against me I gave up on the idea of getting better views and headed to New Brighton - 2 hours sea watching here produced; 13 Leach's Storm petrels, 2 Manx Shearwater, 1 Sooty Shearwater and 1 Sabine's Gull. A true smash and grab raid! 4 Cheshire lifers (highlighted in red) and I made it in time for my lift to Scotland, what a day!

My survey work in Scotland takes up most of the daylight hours, resulting in very little birding time. I did manage to get a shot of a stunning adult Great Northern Diver in full summer plumage, found on a nearby loch on Thursday 16th. Unfortunately the light was fading so the image above does not do this amazing bird justice, but you can imagine that it was a great feeling, finding this bird feeding a mere 30 feet offshore!

No comments:

Post a Comment